College Road Trip : Natural Bridge, VA

The great American road trip, all 50 states over the course of two or three months, sitting shotgun in a seemingly beat up but surprisingly well taken care of VW bus, every wanderlust hippies dream, including mine. And last week my best friend Virginia (the person) and I finally did it, except we were in a fiat… and it only lasted two days… and we stayed in Virginia (the state… yeah it gets a little confusing sometimes). Okay, so maybe it wasn’t the great American road trip, but it certainly was an epic college road trip.
On a whim the Friday before we left, my best friend and I hatched this plan as a last hurrah for our college days, to hop in her cute little orange fiat and let the wind take us as far as it could, as long as we were back in time for graduation practice the following Friday. She had a date with her boyfriend on Monday, so we would have to leave Tuesday, and that would give us three days of possible travel. This brought our initial road trip to the Grand Olé Opry to a screaming halt, as we realized we would get there and must immediately turn around.

We sat on this idea of an impromptu road trip for the weekend, both of us doubting that it would actually come to fruition, until Tuesday morning came. I decided this had to happen, so I picked a route and a destination, we would drive Skyline drive toward Harrisonburg, turn around and then head to the Natural Bridge. Instead of staying in a hotel, I decided, we would sleep in a tent, it was cheaper and more adventurous, and what kind of vagabond would I be if I didn’t at least try camping again (my first experience was not so great to say the least). Then my Dad reminded me that we would be in bear country, that the snakes were out in force because of the recent flooding, and that the forecast was calling for rain. Needless to say, we booked a hotel.

Now that the plans were made and the hotel was booked, we were doing this. I called Virginia and headed to her apartment, which normally would have taken me 45 minutes, but because my tire blew out on the way, I was stuck on the side of an interstate for about an hour. Instead of getting to Virginia’s apartment at noon, I got there at one. The day was clearly off to a great start and I have to be honest I thought maybe this was a sign that we shouldn’t go. When I finally got to Virginia’s apartment she reassured me that I was just being my regular old dramatic self and that we would be fine, plus, she assured me, she has AAA. With my nerves slightly less shot, we packed up her car and hit the road.

With my maroon fedora sitting atop my head and the windows rolled all the way down, a the carefully curated “Road Trip” playlist blasted through the speakers as we headed westbound on I-64. I have to say, not only is the destination gorgeous, but the trip is beautiful too. There you are on the interstate driving past miles of farm land and small towns, it’s all so picturesque. The rolling hills of forest green and the tiny towns that look like a hallmark movie. One town that really caught my attention was Gordonsville, VA. If I were by myself, I would have stopped to explore and maybe try some food at one of the local places. As we were driving through Gordonsville, I looked at Virginia and said, “This reminds me of Gilmore Girls so much.” I have never seen a town so small and quaint while at the same time so aesthetically pleasing. We must have driven through the town’s main road because we were certainly in the village portion of this town, the local watering whole, as they say. The buildings were side-by-side, some of them were directly backed up to one another. There were restaurants and general stores, old colonial houses, and full functioning farms. The town was beautiful, it was a place where it seemed like everyone knew everyone else, but it came and went like a pass-through town off the highway.
Photo courtesy of Visit Gordonsville, VA
We drove past farm land for another thirty minutes or so when the mountains came into view. I remember crying the first time I saw mountains, and though I didn’t do that this time, they still took my breath away. The beautiful rolling blue hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains stood proud in front of us and we drove to meet them. Thirty minutes more and we reached Shenandoah National Park, the home of Skyline drive.  We got lost up in the mountains, not physically, but mentally. We drove for two hours down skyline drive and stopped at every overlook breathing in the crisp mountain air, taking dozens of photos, and just letting the beauty of the place we were in soak into our skin and our minds. I couldn’t help but think about how talented God is to have created something so breath taking. The mountains ran on for miles in front of us and as we stood on the edge of the mountain side we felt free.

We probably could have stayed up there all day and all night, imagine laying under the stars on top of a mountain? But we were tired, it had been a long and hot day of travel. After hours of soaking up the sun and mountain side, we headed to the Natural Bridge Historic Hotel.
The hotel is gorgeous. Built in the 19th century the Natural Bridge Historic hotel was first the birth child of Thomas Jefferson in the 1770s. Jefferson erected a small cabin on the mountain side in the 1770s, but soon the project became conglomerated and Henry Parsons built the hotel to accommodate the heavy traffic of the Natural Bridge resort, which Jefferson called “the most sublime of nature’s works.”
We stayed in a double twin be room. It was simple, and there was nothing particularly impressive about it, but the beds were comfortable and the staff was a delight. Once we settled in and showered, we decided to head downstairs to the Red Fox Tavern which is connected to the hotel.
The bar was small, but it was stocked and the bartender was incredibly busy. Apparently, all the servers that were working that night were new and did not really know what they were doing, so not only was the bartender tending to the booze, but she was also serving and busting tables. To top is off, a manager didn’t come in that day, so she was also playing manager. I think it is safe to say she had a lot going on. Nonetheless, she was hilarious, helpful, and charming. There was a young couple sitting down at the other end of the bar from Virginia and I who were requesting a specific beer but didn’t know what it was called. The barkeep promptly took to the phone and started calling around trying to find the name of this beer from a specific local brewery. By some chance of fate, she figured out. Though we only got one drink each in the one-hour period of us sitting at the bar, we had a great time and were thoroughly impressed by the bartender’s leadership abilities.  
After this we headed to bed. We were exhausted and had an early and busy day the next day.
The next morning, we woke up bright and early and made our way to the hilarious and old timey dive the Pink Cadillac Diner. So, it might not have been the cleanest place to eat, but the head to toe Elvis décor and the black and white checkered floor made this diner totally worth a visit. The food was pretty good, I got a western omelet, and though I regretted not getting cheddar cheese, the eggs were cooked well and the grits, though not my favorite grits ever, were pretty good once I added some maple syrup. The best part of this whole experience though, was that there was an actual pink Cadillac in front of the diner and you better believe I took a million photos with it.
After the diner we attempted to find the natural bridge, attempted being the key word here. No joke, we drove around for two hours, lost in the middle of nowhere. We were literally on the side of a mountain, on a gravel road, surrounded by rusted, old, abandoned houses for two hours. For a while there I think we both thought this was the end, we had no cell service, the GPS had no idea where we were, we had no idea where we were, and we had no idea how to get back. It was kind of terrifying, but finally after a deer jumped in front of the car and I charmed a snake out of the middle of the road, we found ourselves back on a main road. We still didn’t know where the natural bridge was, but we saw a sign for the caverns so we figured we would stop in, buy our tickets (we were going there later) and ask them for directions. When they told us where the Natural Bridge was, Virginia and I just looked at each other, jaws dropped, and laughed. It was directly across the street from out hotel, like the view from our window was the entrance building to the natural bridge.
After laughing for a good minute we shrugged it off and went back to where we started, finally arriving at the Natural Bridge.
This was my second time seeing this natural wonder, and I must say, I agree with Jefferson, it truly is “the most sublime of nature’s works.” It never gets less amazing, in fact the more educated I become, the more amazed I am by it. Nature quite literally carved a giant whole in the side of a mountain and created a natural bridge like arch exposing rocks that are millions of years old. The bridge stands at a breath taking 215 feet tall and spans 90 feet across. It’s like God created this arch simple to remind us to look up. When I look at stuff like this, the stuff that is so miraculous and so beautiful it is indescribable, I have to sit in awe of the creator of this beautiful planet. I highly recommend taking a trip to the natural bridge if you ever have the chance. We continued to hike the .9-mile trail to the waterfall at the end, which was a relatively small waterfall, but beautiful none the less. After hanging out with six copperhead snakes and a spider we decided we should head back to the car and drive over to this place called Dinosaur Kingdom II.

Dinosaur Kingdom II is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. The whole thing is based on a comic book called Dinosaur Kingdom II, were dinosaurs are attacking the Union soldiers during the Civil War. Essentially, it’s a giant art instillation with a few tricks. All the fiber glass sculptures were made by a local guy named Mark Cline, who by the way, WOW he is talented. Virginia and I both agree that Dinosaur Kingdom II was our favorite part of the trip. It was simply hilarious! Frankly, I'm not sure how long it had been since I laughed that hard. From the trippy tunnel, to the vertigo house, to the horrifying church, Dinosaur Kingdom II gets 5 stars from me. Another bonus is that Dinosaur Kingdom II and the Caverns at Natural Bridge (where we headed next) run a special with each other. If you go to one and then head to the other, show them your receipt and you’ll get two dollars off your ticket.
Photo courtesy of Dinosaur Kingdom II
After this we headed to the Caverns at Natural Bridge. This was the last place we went before we headed home. At this point it was around 1:00 PM and we hadn’t eaten since breakfast so we were both hungry and starting to get tired, but there really aren’t a lot of food options around so we just decided to do the caverns, which take about 45 minutes, and then stop for food on the way home. The caverns were really cool. Our tour guide was new, but very good. She was quirky, funny, and very sweet, she shared her favorite places in the cavern with us and told us the history of the cave, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The caverns aren’t one of those gem stone or crystal caverns, it was just rock formations, but even still it is fascinating to see this stuff and hear how it formed. I would say my favorite part of the tour for me was experiencing cave darkness. Cave darkness is when they turn every single light off in the cavern and you experience one hundred percent pure darkness. I will say it was kind of terrifying, but it was also such a unique experience.

All in all, Virginia and I had so much fun! I highly recommend a visit to the Natural Bridge if you ever get the chance. We only went to three places up there, but there is also a drive through safari, a zoo (which I will not be going to because of how they treat the animals), a wax museum, and so much more.  



 

XOXO GB

Share your thoughts :